Youth Spirit Artworks
An East Bay Community Partner
East Bay has partnered with Youth Spirit Artworks to support Young Adults in the East Bay. We’re excited to announce that their Youth Tiny House Village will be opening in late November.
The Youth Tiny House village will be operated as transitional aged youth (TAY) emergency shelter following guidance provided by the City of Oakland’s emergency shelter ordinance.
We’d like our community to support their transition into their new homes. If you are interested in supporting this program please email email@example.com or call 510.420-1003. If you would like to make a donation online go to www.ebcrs.org.
Youth Spirit Artworks is beginning the process of putting together teams that will help our Tiny House Village residents move into their houses. Following up on the conversation we had about this at our last Interfaith Leaders meeting, we are looking for 22 groups of 3-5 people from our interfaith community who are interested in helping out with this project.
Our move-in process will happen over the course of two weekends – the 28th and 29th of November, and the 5th and 6th of December. From 2:30 pm – 6:30 pm each day, teams of move-in helpers will assist individual residents with their move-in process.
We are humbly requesting that each congregation work together to collectively fund a mattress and to collect items for a “welcome basket” for each Tiny House that the congregation is helping to move in.
We are also suggesting that each congregation collectively sign a card with well wishes for their move-in team to give to their resident.
Here is what a move-in team’s commitments and tasks for a move-in day look like:
- Fill out this form, and contact our Tiny House Village Project Coordinator Jilly (firstname.lastname@example.org) letting her know that you and a team of people (for example, your family or a few friends) are interested.
- With congregational support, raise funds to cover the costs of the mattress for your resident’s Tiny House (each mattress costs $140). Checks can be made payable to Youth Spirit Artworks, or funds can be donated on our GoFundMe as well (we kindly ask that each congregation submit just one collective payment or a single check).
- Please prepare, with congregational support, a “welcome basket” for your Tiny House resident. This “basket” should be a shower caddy containing toiletries and other personal care items, such as soap and shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, a toothbrush and toothpaste, floss, flip flops, socks, and washcloths.
- Pick up items at the YSA gallery (located at 3324 Adeline St., also accessible from our studio at 1740 Alcatraz Ave.) for your resident’s house. Items will be grouped and prepared for transport and will include: towels, sheets, a chair, a pillow, curtains, clothes hangers, a wastebasket, a dustpan, and a quilt. Bring your welcome basket with you!
- Transport these items to the Village at 633 Hegenberger Road in Oakland.
- Help your resident with decorating their house with move-in items and personal belongings, including hanging the curtains.
- Give your resident your congregation’s welcome card and wish them the best!
- These move-in days are hugely important, as they will mark the beginning of building community ties and relationships between our Tiny House Village residents and our interfaith community.
Download Youth Spirit Artworks Program Overview PDF
Download an informative article about Youth Spirit Artworks
Youth Spirit Artworks
Tiny House Village Resident Move-ins
November 28 – 29, 2020
December 5 – 6, 2020
2:30pm to 6:30pm each day
Please contact us for more information